This is not a tutorial for teaching how to work with any armature system or with any 3D software. I will try to teach the main poses and how animate the walk cycles; I will use 3Ds max 9 and character studio as armature system but you can use any 3D software, just need and human body ringing and animate them as I show in each different walk, I have to say I´m not an expert animating, I am studying how to do that and these are some technique I have learnt, Hope you like it.
1 – Double Bounce Walk
This walk cycle try to express happiness and some kind of rhythm, the character goes up and down while he walks. I try to teach this cycle I five steps.
- We start with this pose of the character and we put it down, see we have a straight spine and the arm is well risen.
- Next on frame 7 we raise the character up with the leg ahead well straight and rested on the floor as the second image shows.
- After that we are going to make a passing position on frame 13, we have to get down the character again so we can make a double bounce.
- Now we need to rise up the character so we straight her leg, bend a little her spine and rise up the character on frame 19.
- The only thing we left to do is getting back the model on the first pose but these time on the frame 25 and on the opposite limbs.
2 – Angry Walk
This is the way of walk of an angry man with a little rush walk, it seem like a goofy cartoon. I´m going to teach this walk cycle in five steps.
- First you need to straight and tilt the spine ahead, and put legs as the first image shows, this is the pose of the first frame.
Now we need an in-between position on frame 5, check out the second image you need to bend the spine.
- Next step is making a passing position on frame 10 as the third image shows
- Now lets make another in-between on frame 15 and rotate the leg as the fourth image shows
Now we just need to make a key on frame 20 just like the frame 1 but with the opposite limbs ahead
3 – Proud Man Walk
This is the walk cycle of a proud man trying to express his superiority, This cycle i made it in 4 steps.
Bend back the spine and straight the leg, and raise a little the chin.
Now make a passing position on frame 13 as the second image shows.
In this step we straight the le, and raise a little the opposite shoulder
Now we make a pose similar to the first pose, we jus need to invert the limbs.
4 – Happy Walk
These sequences of poses will show the walk of a happy character who don´t walk as a double bounce walk or a proud man walk, It take three poses to achieve.
- Let’s make a key pose on the first frame similar to the first image.
- Now we need a passing position on frame 8 like the second image shows.
- In this step we need to make another pose just like the first but with opposite limb rotated.
5 – Sneak Walk
Now I´ll show one of the different Sneak walk exists, so this is pretty easy and fast to achieve, we need five poses to make it.
Let’s tilt back the spine, raise up the arms and straight the first leg as the first image shows.
- Now we need a break down on frame 10, see the second image and notice the way it is.
Make a passing position on frame 20 tilting the spine ahead.
Now we need another break down, take a look at the fourth image and see how bend are the legs, and straight the spine.
Now we need to make a pose similar to the first pose.